Frowzy Café
Welcome back! What has inspired you today?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Frowzy Café
Welcome back! What has inspired you today?
Frowzy Café
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Many Stories Have You Finished?

+3
Dabiene Caristiana
shadowkitty
Cordelia
7 posters

Go down

How Many Stories Have You Finished? Empty How Many Stories Have You Finished?

Post by Cordelia Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:50 pm

I think one of the biggest things we all have in common as writers is the apparent inability to finish the majority of stories we start.  Whether that's because the idea was only ever a plot bunny being chased, sudden inspiration for a new direction, or lack of momentum, we have more unfinished stories than finished.  (Most of us.)

But how many stories have you written to conclusion?   I'm counting short stories and flash pieces here.

How many have you written just to completion?  And how many have you gone back and polished with edit after edit?
Cordelia
Cordelia
Admin
Admin

https://frowzycafe.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How Many Stories Have You Finished? Empty Re: How Many Stories Have You Finished?

Post by shadowkitty Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:01 am

Without turning on my laptop, where all my content is, I would take a guess as having completed maybe four or five short stories. I know that doesn't sound like much. I have a LOT of poetry though. But I tend to only write poems when I'm feeling all emo and moody.
Long stories well, I started a few, lost interest in a couple and have two that I am actively working on. A novel and a fanfic. It's hard at the moment as I lost my Mojo for a while after the events of the end of last year. It's slowly returning though.
shadowkitty
shadowkitty

Back to top Go down

How Many Stories Have You Finished? Empty Re: How Many Stories Have You Finished?

Post by Cordelia Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:36 am

*Hugs KitKat.*  I know it's been a tough year for you.  I'm glad the creative literary urge is returning, even if it's only a whisper for now.

It's generally much easier to finish short stories, if you know how to write them.  I know I struggled for years to grasp what a short story was even about, let alone how to effectively write one.  But at the same time, long fiction takes so long to get through, just as a writer, that it's also very easy to lose steam.  That's why I'm curious how many stories, and what type, people have finished.

We can be more effective motivation for each other when we know our goals, and our shortcomings.
Cordelia
Cordelia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabiene Caristiana Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Not counting the ones assigned in grade school... uh... 0.

Very Happy

Hopefully on here that will change. Razz
Dabiene Caristiana
Dabiene Caristiana

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodKnight_Anna Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Novels: -9999 (because they'll never get finished, and I've restarted them so much that I feels it deserves a negative score)
Stories: 0
Poems: 2

Razz lol I really need to stop creating new projects to work on and write them dang things.
BloodKnight_Anna
BloodKnight_Anna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinickal Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Um... like, 3 short stories? And then a few dozen poems. Jack-all for long stories, though.
Sinickal
Sinickal

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanu Reaves Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:39 pm

A small collection of poems...

1 or 2 short stories...

And yeah nothing else. I am in the same boat as Anna for novels.
Seanu Reaves
Seanu Reaves

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeta O Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:25 am

Short Stories - Quite a lot. 20-30 probably.

Novels, I finished the 1st and 2nd draft completely, but didn't like it, so keep re-writing it and haven't got very far over the last 5-6 years

Zeta O

Back to top Go down

Post by Cordelia Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:51 am

I think a lot of us are in the same boat for novels.  But that's okay.  This is more about counting your victories than counting your failures.  Smile
Cordelia
Cordelia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cordelia Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:40 am

That's both super impressive, and massively frustrating, Zeta O.  To make that much progress only to feel stalled.  What do you think is providing the biggest obstacle to finished manuscripts?
Cordelia
Cordelia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down